EXPERIENCE the BENEFITS of DELIGHTING in God’s WORD
June 24 Bible Reading: Psalms Chapter 119
"Unless Your law had been my delight, I would then have perished in my affliction. How sweet are Your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!" (Psalms 119:92, 103)
One of the ways that God speaks to us today is through His written Word (“logos”), which has been kept preserved for us through the past centuries for our benefit. God’s Word is forever settled in heaven (v. 89), but it is also available to us for our daily life and sustenance. We need to take time every day to listen to Him as His Word provides us with life-changing wisdom and direction to take the next steps forward (v. 105) in our life’s journey.
God’s Word is like a compass and a map that gives us clear directions to walk in the pathway of life that He has set for us. If we follow God’s Word closely we will never get lost, as His Word will be our initial and fixed reference point for any crucial decisions that we take in life. There is no one or, nothing on this earth that can compare to God’s Word in providing us accurate counsel in any area of our lives. Without a daily intake of God’s Word, we cannot live the abundant life that God has intended for us to experience daily (Matt. 4:4; John 10:10). So, God’s Word is our only true source of directions to live by on this earth!
The writer of Psalm 119 took the extra trouble of reading and meditating on God’s Word both day and night. This is what he writes: "Oh, how I love Your law! It is my meditation all the day” (v. 97). "My eyes are awake through the night watches, that I may meditate on Your word" (v. 148). Not only was the psalmist reading and meditating on God’s Word, but as a righteous man, he was also delighting in this activity: "But his delight is in the law of the Lord, and in His law he meditates day and night" (Ps. 1:2). Any person who meditates on God’s Word day and night, and carefully follows God’s directions will be truly successful and prosperous in life (see Josh. 1:8). Taking this a step further, any person who fears God and delights in His commandments will be blessed in the sight of God as well (Ps. 112:1).
As the psalmist prayerfully meditated on God’s Word, he started to really enjoy his experience as he found God’s Word sweeter than honey in taste (v. 103; Ps. 81:16; Deut. 32:13). In fact, God’s Word provided all the ingredients that the psalmist needed to thrive spiritually. This can be our experience as well as we take time to savor the richness of God’s Word and chew on it prayerfully as God begins to transmit His thoughts to us (Isa. 55:8). There are nine additional benefits that we can experience in delighting in God’s Word:
- Delighting in God’s Word will bring spiritual stability and fruitfulness in our lives (Ps.1:1-3).
- Delighting in God’s Word will give us a deep desire to do God’s will (Ps. 40:8).
- Delighting in God’s Word will help to keep anxiety from building up in our minds (Ps. 94:19).
- Delighting in God’s Word will help us when we are depressed (Ps. 119:24-25).
- Delighting in God’s Word will enable us to obey God until the end (vv. 33-35).
- Delighting in God’s Word will provide in us a love to meditate the scriptures (vv. 47-48).
- Delighting in God’s Word will give us wisdom and understanding, and make us wiser than our enemies, teachers and older/matured people (vv. 98-100).
- Delighting in God’s Word will help to restrain our feet from engaging in evil activities (v. 101).
- Delighting in God’s Word will sustain us in times of trial (v. 143).