UNDERSTANDING the TRUTH about ‘HEAVENLY’ WISDOM
December 17 Bible Reading: James Chapters 1-3
"Who is wise and understanding among you? Let him show by good conduct that his works are done in the meekness of wisdom. But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, willing to yield, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality and without hypocrisy." (James 3:13, 17)
The ‘heavenly’ wisdom of which James speaks is practical and relational that is evidenced by godly attitudes and actions. He exhorts believers to demonstrate their faith through works and demonstrate their wisdom by godly living. The outward sign of ‘heavenly’ wisdom is a gentle and humble spirit. Our Lord Jesus was meek and lowly in heart (Matt. 11:29). Therefore, all who are truly wise will have the hallmark of genuine humility!
'Heavenly’ wisdom that comes from God has the following characteristics:
- It is pure in thoughts, words, deeds, spirit, body, doctrine, practice, faith and morals.
- It is peaceable and will love to maintain peace in every situation without sacrificing purity.
- It is gentle, courteous and respectful of the feelings of others.
- It is willing to yield, open to reason and ready to give in when truth requires it.
- It is full of mercy to those who are in the wrong, and anxious to help them find the right way.
- It is full of good fruits by being compassionate and kind.
- It is without partiality and does not produce favoritism.
- It is without hypocrisy by being sincere and genuine.
Is there bitterness in our hearts or envy? Are we speaking from God’s wisdom or the wisdom of the world? Are we peacemakers or troublemakers? If your hearts are right before God, He will use ours words to produce the right kind of fruit in our lives. Our outward behavior will reflect if we are wise as we control our tongues and place our minds deliberately under the authority of God in order to let God control us. Let us ask God in faith to grant us heavenly wisdom today!