SIX GODLY QUALITIES of a RIGHTEOUS PERSON
July 26 Bible Reading: Isaiah Chapters 31-33
"He who walks righteously and speaks uprightly, he who despises the gain of oppressions, who gestures with his hands, refusing bribes, who stops his ears from hearing of bloodshed, and shuts his eyes from seeing evil: He will dwell on high; his place of defense will be the fortress of rocks; bread will be given him, his water will be sure." (Isaiah 33:15-16)
As Isaiah is prophesying about the impending judgment that is destined for everyone (Isaiah 33:10-14), there is hope for the righteous. As in some of the Psalms, which contain questions and answers regarding the conditions for admittance to worship (Psalms 15 and 24), Isaiah describes the qualities of those who will escape punishment and dwell with the Lord in safety forever (vv. 15-16). The six qualities of a righteous person (Isaiah 33:15) are listed below:
- Lives a life displaying righteous behavior - walks righteously
- Speaks only what is right and true - speaks uprightly
- Does not oppress weak people in order to make money – hates money from dishonesty
- Makes it plain that his/her integrity cannot be bought with bribes – refuses to take bribes
- Does not listen to suggestions for eliminating opponents by resorting to violence (Job 31:31; Prov. 1:14, 16)
- Cannot tolerate evil at any time – even the very appearance of evil
- He shall be safe; he shall escape the devouring fire and the everlasting burning in hell.
- He shall be supplied; he shall want nothing that is necessary for him.