GETTING THE MOST FROM GOD'S WORD:

"Do NOT labor for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to everlasting LIFE..." - The Gospel of John 6:27 (NKJV)
A systematic and daily reading of the Word of God is important in maintaining a strong Christian life. Establish a daily quiet time with God and His Word. Pray that the Holy Spirit will help you understand what you read. By following our daily Bible reading schedule through this blog, you will be able to read the Bible through in a year. Please note that you may utilize the ‘BIBLE READER’ app that is installed at the bottom of this webpage to assist you in reading the specified scripture portion for today.

To get the MOST from God's Word, please do the following intentionally:
1. REQUEST God to connect with you as you read the word of God with FOCUS and OPENNESS to see what God wants to speak with you.
2. READ the selected sections of Scripture slowly as you mark the words and phrases that intrigue you, even reading them the second time to get a better understanding.
3. REFLECT on what God is communicating to you; stopping long enough to let the seed of God's Word take root in your heart.
4. RESPOND to the passage speaking directly to God about what is in your heart, and then look out for ways to live out what you find - individually, and to others within your church and elsewhere.

As you read and meditate, ask yourself the following three questions:
a) What is God speaking to me through this passage?
b) Is there a command, a promise or a warning for me?
c) Is there an example for me to follow?

Please POST your comments below if there is a thought or message that the Lord has spoken to you through the passage that you are reading and meditating today. Please make sure that your post is aligned to the scripture passage mentioned at the header. All comments should pertain to the relevant scripture portions only, and should be aimed to glorify God (the true author of 'The Bible') & edify everyone who visits this blog site daily - both young and old. May God bless you abundantly for encouraging others through your comments!

Let's PRAY...
LORD, give me the desire to take a little time out of my busy schedule today as I read and meditate on Your Word. Give me this day MY DAILY BREAD. Speak to me clearly & lead me today as my Good Shepherd. Help me to be a blessing to others who interact with me as I attempt to be a living witness of Your Word today. In Your Name I pray, AMEN.

Thursday, July 31, 2014

God CARRIES us from CRADLE to GRAVE!

God CARRIES us from CRADLE to GRAVE!

July 31 Bible Reading: Isaiah Chapters 46-48

"Listen to Me, O house of Jacob, and all the remnant of the house of Israel, who have been upheld by Me from birth, who have been carried from the womb: Even to your old age, I am He, and even to gray hairs I will carry you! I have made, and I will bear; even I will carry, and will deliver you. To whom will you liken Me, and make Me equal and compare Me, that we should be alike?" (Isaiah 46:3-5)

In Isaiah 46, there is a vivid picture of the siege of Babylon and the evacuation of its idols. The carriages are creaking under the weight of the idols and the animals are groaning under the load (v. 1). In contrast, God carries His children from birth (v. 3) to the old age (v. 4). Thus, Isaiah 46 has two major contrasts: idols, which must be supported as opposed to Yahweh, who supports Israel (vv. 1-7)

The idols of Babylon, Bel and Nebo, are being carted away by the Persians. As the weary beasts plod on, the idols topple. The gods they represent cannot save the load; instead they are carried off into captivity. In contrast to the idols which are carried by the people, the true God will carry His people even to their old age. We are here told that the false gods will certainly fail their worshippers when they have most need of them (v. 1, 2) and that the true God will never fail his worshippers (v. 3, 4).

There are two kinds of gods in this world: the idols we carry and the One God who carries us! Let us understand that an idol is a substitute for God, something that we value and serve other than God. We trust it and sacrifice for it; but in the end, it can do us no good. Isaiah mocked the idols of the nations and affirmed repeatedly that Jehovah was the only true and living God (40:18–20; 41:5–7; 44:9–20; 45:15–21; 46:1–7). Martin Luther said that “all such as rely and depend upon their art, wisdom, strength, sanctity, riches, honor, power, or anything else are guilty of worshiping idols.”

The idea in this passage is that all the idols that we trust and serve passionately will one day fall before the Lord. The rhetorical question is that to whom can we liken God? The obvious answer—no one! There is no one like the God we serve. Yahweh is the unique and incomprehensible God. It is this great God who has promised to carry us from cradle to grave! Let us put our faith and trust in Him alone for He alone will carry us from our cradle to our grave!

"The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms" (Deut 33:27)

"But You are He who took Me out of the womb; You made Me trust while on My mother's breasts. I was cast upon You from birth. From My mother's womb You have been My God." (Psalms 22:9-10)

"For You are my hope, O Lord God; You are my trust from my youth. By You I have been upheld from birth; You are He who took me out of my mother's womb. My praise shall be continually of You." (Psalms 71:5-6)

Google+ Followers