RESTING and WAITING on GOD ALONE
June 11 Bible Reading: Psalms Chapters 32-37
"Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for Him; do not fret because of him who prospers in his way, because of the man who brings wicked schemes to pass. Cease from anger, and forsake wrath; do not fret--it only causes harm. For evildoers shall be cut off; but those who wait on the Lord, they shall inherit the earth. Wait on the Lord, and keep His way, and He shall exalt you to inherit the land; when the wicked are cut off, you shall see it. Mark the blameless man, and observe the upright; for the future of that man is peace." (Psalms 37:7-9, 34, 37)
Despite the unfairness of life, King David prays that he will not retaliate against the evil people but rest in the Lord and wait patiently on God – for God will bring justice in the earth in due time (vv. 7, 9). As we wait patiently on God, we should also stop being angry at our current situation for our anger tends to be vindictive and punitive. On the other hand, God’s anger is untainted by self-interest and tempered with mercy. God’s wrath can even be His love that brings us to repentance and faith in Him (Romans 12:19, 21).
How do we rest in the Lord? Listed below are six areas where we can rest upon:
- Rest in the will of God, for whatever he wills for us is for our highest good (Rom. 12:1-2)
- Rest in the love of God, and meditate on the ultimate sacrifice of our Lord Jesus Christ on the cross (John 3:16).
- Rest in the mercy of God, for it is by His mercies that we are not consumed (Lam 3:22; Psalms 37:26)
- Rest in the word of God, for His word will nourish us and guide us in the path of life (Psalms 23:2; Psalms 119:105)
- Rest in our relationship with God, for He is our heavenly Father after we receive Him into our lives (John 1:14; Romans 8:14-17)
- Rest in the Lord Himself as he guides us continually through the Holy Spirit who indwells us (John 14:26; 15:26; 16:8, 13)
- By pouring our heart to God in prayer like Hannah (see Psalms 62:1-2, 5-6, 8)
- By saturating ourselves in the Holy Scriptures (Psalms 130:5) and waiting for His direction like Simeon (Luke 2:25-32)
- By keeping serving God faithfully like Anna the prophetess (Luke 2:36-38)