GETTING THE MOST FROM GOD'S WORD:

"Do NOT labor for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to everlasting LIFE..." - The Gospel of John 6:27 (NKJV)
A systematic and daily reading of the Word of God is important in maintaining a strong Christian life. Establish a daily quiet time with God and His Word. Pray that the Holy Spirit will help you understand what you read. By following our daily Bible reading schedule through this blog, you will be able to read the Bible through in a year. Please note that you may utilize the ‘BIBLE READER’ app that is installed at the bottom of this webpage to assist you in reading the specified scripture portion for today.

To get the MOST from God's Word, please do the following intentionally:
1. REQUEST God to connect with you as you read the word of God with FOCUS and OPENNESS to see what God wants to speak with you.
2. READ the selected sections of Scripture slowly as you mark the words and phrases that intrigue you, even reading them the second time to get a better understanding.
3. REFLECT on what God is communicating to you; stopping long enough to let the seed of God's Word take root in your heart.
4. RESPOND to the passage speaking directly to God about what is in your heart, and then look out for ways to live out what you find - individually, and to others within your church and elsewhere.

As you read and meditate, ask yourself the following three questions:
a) What is God speaking to me through this passage?
b) Is there a command, a promise or a warning for me?
c) Is there an example for me to follow?

Please POST your comments below if there is a thought or message that the Lord has spoken to you through the passage that you are reading and meditating today. Please make sure that your post is aligned to the scripture passage mentioned at the header. All comments should pertain to the relevant scripture portions only, and should be aimed to glorify God (the true author of 'The Bible') & edify everyone who visits this blog site daily - both young and old. May God bless you abundantly for encouraging others through your comments!

Let's PRAY...
LORD, give me the desire to take a little time out of my busy schedule today as I read and meditate on Your Word. Give me this day MY DAILY BREAD. Speak to me clearly & lead me today as my Good Shepherd. Help me to be a blessing to others who interact with me as I attempt to be a living witness of Your Word today. In Your Name I pray, AMEN.

Thursday, June 14, 2012

June 14 Bible Reading: Psalms Chapters 52-59

Setting EXPECTATIONS upon GOD during our TROUBLES: "Be merciful to me, O God, be merciful to me! For my soul trusts in You; and in the shadow of Your wings I will make my refuge, until these calamities have passed by. I will cry out to God Most High, to God who performs all things for me. He shall send from heaven and save me." (Psalms 57:1-3)

David was hiding from Saul in a cave when he wrote this Psalm, either in the cave of Adullam (1 Sam. 22:1–5) or, in one of the caves in the wilderness of Engedi (1 Sam. 24:1–7). While hiding in the cave, David was acutely aware of two ever-present realities before him: his powerful God who could deliver him and his mortal enemy Saul who could kill him. This psalm moves between these two entities, but David’s faith in God appears to be greater than his fear of Saul.

David recognizes that his deliverance cannot be earned, but would be the outcome of God’s mercy. So, David asks for mercy from God, an undeserved blessing stemming from God’s kindness. Like a chicken snuggled under the wings of the mother hen, David wants to take refuge in God until the storms of his life have passed by. This metaphor was first used in Deuteronomy 32:11 and is a favorite one in the Psalms (17:8; 36:7; 61:4; 63:7; 91:4). David will not simply hide in the cave, but under the shadow of the wings of the Mighty One who made the cave!

The image of God as a protective mother bird protecting her young from trouble communicates God’s compassion for His people. David’s faith transformed his cave into the very throne room of God (v. 1). His confidence was not in the rocks but under the wings of God (see Ruth 2:12). In spite of sharp teeth (v. 4), nets and pits (v. 6), David was sure of God’s help!

Our spiritual pipeline to heaven is also built upon our firm trust in God. If we are inflexible in our expectations of how God should work in our situation, we can run into disappointments. Sometimes during a crisis we make the mistake of shifting our focus from God to our painful circumstances. However, when we are flexible in our expectations, but confident in God’s steadfast love and care, then God will see us through to victory.

Let us set our expectations upon God during our troubles. Let us trust God, exalt Him and sing praises to Him even in our critical moments. This approach worked for David in his cave, and it will work for us today in our cave-like experiences as well.

He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, "He is my refuge and my fortress; my God, in Him I will trust." Surely He shall deliver you from the snare of the fowler and from the perilous pestilence. He shall cover you with His feathers, and under His wings you shall take refuge. (Psalms 91:1-4)

Google+ Followers