Seven 'BLESSINGS' from GOD for FAITHFULNESS: "Therefore they are before the throne of God, and serve Him day and night in His temple. And He who sits on the throne will dwell among them. They shall neither hunger anymore nor thirst anymore; the sun shall not strike them, nor any heat; for the Lamb who is in the midst of the throne will shepherd them and lead them to living fountains of waters. And God will wipe away every tear from their eyes." (Rev 7:15-17)
In his vision, Apostle John sees a great multitude of Gentiles from among all the different parts of the world, who were converted during the Great Tribulation, arrayed in white and standing before the throne (v. 9). This great multitude appears in white robes displaying their purity and carries palm branches in their hands symbolic of their final victory. Their earthly trials are now over. John is informed by one of the elders that these people had come out of the Great Tribulation and their robes have been washed in the blood of the Lamb (v. 14).
Faith in Christ had made these redeemed Gentiles both holy and righteous. These redeemed saints will receive seven wonderful blessings as a reward for their faithfulness:
- Blessing of Proximity to God: "Therefore they are before the throne of God" (v: 15a). They would be stationed right before the throne where they can see Him forever.
- Blessing of Unending Service to God: "And serve Him day and night in His temple" (v: 15b). ‘To serve’ indicates priestly service before the Lord (1:6; 5:10).
- Blessing of Close Fellowship with God: "He who sits on the throne will dwell among them" (v: 15c). The majority in the multitude had not seen Christ when He dwelt among Jews (John 1:14) but now God will ‘tabernacle’ among them in heaven.
- Blessing of Total Satisfaction: "They shall neither hunger nor thirst anymore" (v: 16a). Christ will give them the ‘bread of life’ (John 6:33, 35, 48, 51) and ‘living water’ (John 4:10; 7:38) that will totally satisfy them.
- Blessing of Total Security: "The sun shall not strike them, nor any heat" (v: 16b). Just like Jehovah went before the Israelites by day in a pillar of cloud to lead the way and by night in a pillar of fire to give them light (Exodus 13:21-22), He will provide them total security in heaven.
- Blessing of Accurate Guidance: "For the Lamb who is in the midst of the throne will shepherd them and lead them to fountains of the waters of life" (v: 17a). Jesus will fulfill His role as the Good Shepherd (Psalms 23; John 10) as He will guide them continually for eternity.
- Blessing of the Fullness of Joy: "God will wipe away every tear from their eyes" (v: 17b). Earthly sorrows will be over, as God will Himself wipe away every tear of grief. Instead, the following observation by the Psalmist will become a reality: "In Your presence is fullness of joy; at Your right hand are pleasures forevermore." (Psalms 16:11)