GETTING THE MOST FROM GOD'S WORD:

"Do NOT labor for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to everlasting LIFE..." - The Gospel of John 6:27 (NKJV)
A systematic and daily reading of the Word of God is important in maintaining a strong Christian life. Establish a daily quiet time with God and His Word. Pray that the Holy Spirit will help you understand what you read. By following our daily Bible reading schedule through this blog, you will be able to read the Bible through in a year. Please note that you may utilize the ‘BIBLE READER’ app that is installed at the bottom of this webpage to assist you in reading the specified scripture portion for today.

To get the MOST from God's Word, please do the following intentionally:
1. REQUEST God to connect with you as you read the word of God with FOCUS and OPENNESS to see what God wants to speak with you.
2. READ the selected sections of Scripture slowly as you mark the words and phrases that intrigue you, even reading them the second time to get a better understanding.
3. REFLECT on what God is communicating to you; stopping long enough to let the seed of God's Word take root in your heart.
4. RESPOND to the passage speaking directly to God about what is in your heart, and then look out for ways to live out what you find - individually, and to others within your church and elsewhere.

As you read and meditate, ask yourself the following three questions:
a) What is God speaking to me through this passage?
b) Is there a command, a promise or a warning for me?
c) Is there an example for me to follow?

Please POST your comments below if there is a thought or message that the Lord has spoken to you through the passage that you are reading and meditating today. Please make sure that your post is aligned to the scripture passage mentioned at the header. All comments should pertain to the relevant scripture portions only, and should be aimed to glorify God (the true author of 'The Bible') & edify everyone who visits this blog site daily - both young and old. May God bless you abundantly for encouraging others through your comments!

Let's PRAY...
LORD, give me the desire to take a little time out of my busy schedule today as I read and meditate on Your Word. Give me this day MY DAILY BREAD. Speak to me clearly & lead me today as my Good Shepherd. Help me to be a blessing to others who interact with me as I attempt to be a living witness of Your Word today. In Your Name I pray, AMEN.

Monday, August 22, 2011

August 22 Bible Reading: Jeremiah Chapters 46-48

GOD will ultimately PRESERVE HIS PEOPLE: "But do not fear, O My servant Jacob, and do not be dismayed, O Israel! For behold, I will save you from afar, and your offspring from the land of their captivity; Jacob shall return, have rest and be at ease; no one shall make him afraid. Do not fear, O Jacob My servant” says the Lord, "for I am with you; for I will make a complete end of all the nations to which I have driven you, but I will not make a complete end of you. I will rightly correct you, for I will not leave you wholly unpunished." (Jer 46:27-28)

The book of Jeremiah has not been arranged chronologically otherwise this section (chapters 46-49) should have historically followed the events of chapter 25 where Jeremiah anticipated the Babylonian conquest (Jer 25:9).

The passage above is a repeat from Jeremiah 30:10, 11, with only a slight variation. These are the words of comfort to Israel, for God will not forget His covenant with its promises of protection, peace, and prosperity (see Gen. 9:13). The purpose of God’s chastisement is to refine His people. The word “correct” (v. 28b) denotes discipline, which will be done justly. This prophecy has a double fulfillment—one in the return from exile and the other still in the future (Rom. 11:1–5, 26–32).

God is still Israel’s covenant God who will deal with a righteous remnant by restoring it to the land in accordance with his unconditional promises of old. In contrast with Egypt, who would be taken into exile, Israel was not to fear or be dismayed. In the midst of international chaos, Israel had a sure promise of the presence of the Lord and of survival. The destroyers will themselves be destroyed, but God will have compassion on His own. Israel could look forward to a time when she would enjoy “peace and security.” A remnant would survive to receive again God’s blessings. As the ‘new Israel’ the Church of God can also relate to these promises of God.

When the Church (and literal Israel) might seem utterly consumed, there still remains hope because God will even raise His people from the dead (Romans 11:15) and ultimately preserve His people. Through this passage, God gave a message of peace to His people in captivity: they would return to their land and be established again. They had to be corrected in love, but they would not be destroyed: “I will save you . . . I am with you” - What words of encouragement!

Google+ Followers